When we had this home built the shiny brass chandelier seemed a better alternative than the antiqued brass. After looking at it for years and yearning for a crystal chandelier, I was inspired by a pin on Pinterest. This person had painted chandeliers every color in the rainbow. Well, they actually looked pretty.
Thinking I could do the same, I bought some bronze paint and asked my husband, who has years of experience with electricity, to take down the chandelier. After disassembling, I took my handy little drill and made holes where the strings of crystal could be attached and began painting light coats until the chandelier was covered.
The medallion is one of those white plastic pieces I picked up on sale for almost nothing a long time ago. Using acrylic paints, a richer wooden effect was created. I’ll have to say I didn’t know where I was going with the painting. Layers and layers of paint and washes later, this is what was created. My plan is to add some stenciling to the outer border to extend it, or paint a trompe l‘oeil.
I reassembled and Dave hung, wired, and connected it back to the electric. (I don’t do electric!) The crystals were bought at Michael’s and Joann’s when they were marked down 50%. They were attached with tiny wires and fishing line. After attaching them, the candles looked rather lame, so I bought some PVC pipe, cut it to fit over the candle like a sleeve and visually bulked them up a bit.
Before placing the sleeves on the chandelier, I added some rhinestone trim, which mimicked the bronze color. All in all, I think it came out pretty well.