This DIY moss covered bunny project was an idea I saw on a blog and was not even remotely something I was planning to do. Then I took the sled away from the fireplace hearth. Two baskets are stacked on the right side, the bottom one holding magazines and the top holding the remote for the window shade.
Needing something to the left to balance the baskets, I started brainstorming. I have been looking for a large lantern for that spot for awhile and decided I had to find one immediately, so I went shopping. From store to store, I scanned aisle after aisle, shelf after shelf, but couldn‘t find the right one. Remembering that I had seen one at Michael‘s last week, I ended up there and found this beauty. It was the last one they had and it was marked down 50 percent! For $29.99, it was mine!
Anxious to see how it looked on the hearth, I pulled it out of the trunk, carried it into the house and set it on the left side. Okay, it seemed just a tad too short. Looking around I saw the book on Michelangelo. Perfect color, perfect size, yes it seemed perfect. Looking around the house, racking my brain, I couldn‘t think of anything that I had, to place in the lantern!
Keeping with the spring season, I visualized a bird‘s nest resting on a branch and the moss covered bunny seemed a perfect idea. Since I didn‘t have either, the nest or the bunny, I started recalling all of the aisles in the stores, where I had just been shopping. Target had a moss covered bunny and I remember thinking, “What would I do with that?“
Nothing, it was gone by the time I got there.
Okay, Joan‘s had three little paper mache bunnies, 60 percent off, and I remember thinking, “Who would buy those and for what?“ The wreath I reworked for the front door a couple of weeks ago has a little birds nest with moss and little eggs, all of which came from Joann‘s. Thinking of making the diy moss covered bunny and knowing that I could buy all of those from Joann‘s, that‘s where I headed. Those three little bunnies were still there! Having coupons for 40 and 50 percent off, my total was $6.67.
We have a big river birch tree in the front yard and there is always an abundance of twigs and branches. I went in search of the perfect branch, found it, cut it to size and placed it in the lantern. The birds nest was placed on the branch after lining the nest with moss and adding the three little eggs leftover from the wreath project.
Using tacky glue, I cut or pulled the moss apart to fit an area of the bunny and pieced it together. The moss was pretty forgiving and butting the edges up together, you can‘t see where it was pieced. It was done in no time. Well, it was done in the span of one glass of William Hill Chardonnay, sipped slowly, with the appreciation of a wine lover.